Learning ABC for Toddler

Have you read my previous article: How I gauge my toddler speech program? If you have then you can understand that teaching a speech delayed child is basically the same as teaching English Language to an adult. To have a better understanding please check my article: How I gauge my toddler speech development program.

My child and I have established a schedule that we follow everyday. For your reference please see below:

7:30   – 9:30    --> Go to regular school
9:30   – 10:00  --> Play at school with classmates
10:00 – 12:00  --> Play at home. Physical activities
12:00 – 1:00    --> Lunch
1:00   – 2:30    --> Study time
2:30   – 4:00    --> Nap time
4:00   – 5:00    --> TV time
5:00   – 7:00    --> Play with cousins. Physical and Interactive Activities 
7:00   – 8:00    --> TV time
8:00   – 9:30    --> Study time
9:30               -->  Bed time    

This time I would like to discuss my toddler study time


1.) Increase vocabulary

Everyday we are using flash cards and plastic miniatures for animals, fruits, vegetables. We have started with animals first using 5 flashcards. Once she can know at least 80% of the first cards, I add 5 cards more. Introducing many flash cards to our child is not recommended. Please note that our child needs to feel that she is doing great before she will accept additional cards. Adding more cards without recognizing the first cards will lead to frustration for the child and parent. When that happened, your child might end up hating flash cards so be careful in introducing flash cards to your child. Start with animals or fruits that she already knows. My child started with 5 cards:

First 5 cards: Dog, cat, goat, beetle, Fish

These are the animals that she has seen in actual so she can easily understand that the cards are pictures of actual animals.

Tips and suggestion:

  • Starts with something that your child knows or finds interesting
  • Praise your child every card that she can say correctly. For speech delayed children you may expect that she cannot pronounce everything correctly. That’s fine. Just rejoice that your child is saying something. Please note that the saying: “Practice makes perfect” also applies to speech delayed children. Let me explain more by example:

Mommy: what animal is this? (note: you must emphasize the animal for grouping purpose)
My Toddler: Do_ (note: she omits the last letter)
Mommy: very good it is a doggg. (Emphasize the last letter)

You may also include in flash cards intraverbal activities:
Let me explain more by example:

          Mommy: what does the dog say?
          My toddler: arf! Arf!
          Mommy: very good! Who say arf! Arf?
          My toddler: the dog
          Mommy: you got it! Yehey!

 2.) Writing

It is also essential to practice writing in kindergarten because it helps to reinforce phonics and develop reading skills. At first I taught my toddler might be overwhelm if I include writing in her study. Since, we also answer her assignment during study time, we have to include writing. Her new school Kidspace is teaching writing the same time as the letters of the alphabet.

          In writing I have learned 3 steps to teach my toddler:
·          
1.) Start with tracing.

Mommy: writes in dotted letter the alphabet
My toddler: trace the letters


2.) Using the dot as guide.
     After your toddler practiced tracing the letter instead of dotted line, use the dot as a guide


Mommy: writes a dot where the letter start
My toddler: writes using the dot as starting point 


  3.) Copy the letter


Mommy: writes a letter then write an underline beside it
My toddler: writes the letter on the space with underline


Tips and suggestion:

·       ** Mommy use a ballpen so that when your toddler erase yours will not be erased


3.) Reading

To start reading we have to introduce first the letter-sound to our toddler. When learning to read, children who understand the basic sounds of the language can apply letter-sound relations with greater ease.

In reading, I am following below steps:

  • ·         Letter Identification
Use of quiz type such as: matching mama A and baby a; matching letter and picture. Encircle the letter a in an array of letters (this is my toddlers favorite).


  • ·         Letter - sound relationship

Mommy: What letter is this? (while pointing on the letter)
My toddler: Mama A, Baby a
Mommy: What is the sound of letter A
My toddler: Ah

  • ·         Letter consonant-vowel-consonant (CVC) words.
    Start with 3 to 4 letter words familiar to your toddler.

Mommy: What letter is the first letter? (while pointing on the letter)
My toddler: A
Mommy: What is the sound of letter A
My toddler: Ah
Mommy: What is this word? Baby say Ahnntt (exaggerate the pronunciation.
My toddler: Ant

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

May i know how old is she during this time? My son was diagnosed with communication delay too. I'd like to get more tips how to help him cope. Thanks in advance

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...