Child Exposure to Multiple Language Causes Speech Delay?

When I got pregnant with Rian, I have dream of her speaking with me the three languages (Tagalog, English, Ilocano-my native tongue) that I was exposed to. We lived in Tanauan city where two languages are use. In her previous school, her classmate speaks in English more than Tagalog.  Moreover, in my hometown Kalinga province people are speaks English, Tagalog, and our dialect-Ilocano.
I was saddened when her speech therapist advised us that we speak to my child in one language only. I told her that I have read many articles in the internet that more than one language will not cause speech delay. The Speech therapist said that this is correct for children who develop the ability to produce speech at the appropriate age.  A child with speech delay should be exposed to one language only and that it is only logical that one language is easier to learn compared to two. Since my child knows more English words, we have decided that her primary language is English. After two months, I took a leave from my work to focus on helping her improve her speech. Since cost of living is lower there, we have decided to go home in Kalinga.

Living in a multilingual community makes it impossible to stop her exposure to three languages. Also, schools here encourages raising multilingual children. As an example, let me show how her teacher teaches the three languages in her pre-school.

The door is rectangle (English)
Ang pintuan ay parihaba (Tagalog)
Dayto Ruangan ket paatidug (Ilocano)

What we did, I ask family the family members to speak to her in English. However, during her play time with the kids in the neighborhood they speak in Ilocano. I let it that way and so far I must say that she has improved her speech. The evidence is transparent to my previous post: My Child Developmental Milestone: Vocabulary Achievement.

I therefore conclude that exposing a child to multiple languages does NOT cause speech delay.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...